John Quincy Adams President of the United States (Signed: By the President J.Q.A. G. G. Commissioner of the General Land Office (No Seal) to Stephen and Samuel P. Duncan, Guardians of the children and estate of Doctor Gustine, deed., Assignees of A.P. Hayne. Kind of Conveyance: Certified Photostatic Copy of Letters Patent Date of Conveyance; August 10, 1826 Certified to by B.S. Clinton, Acting Recorder, Department of the Interior, General Land Office, Apr.4, 1939 (Seal) Filed: April 10, 1939 Recorded in Deed Book 210, page 586.
The Southeast quarter of Section eight in Township Sixteen, of Range eighteen containing one hundred and sixty acres, and sixty hundredths of an acre of the Lands directed to be sold at Cahaba, Alabama, in pursuance of the Laws providing for the sales of the lands of the United States in Mississippi and Alabama. There is Granted, by the United States unto the said Stephen and Samuel P. Duncan guardians of the children and estate of James Gustine, and to their heirs, the quarter lot or section of land above described:
View the documents above by clicking on the CV Patent numbers. The first in the series CV-Patent 0125-267 each 160.43 acres is the Southeast Quarter that is in the words of my personal abstract of the Capitol Heights Development Company. It takes all four to make up the entire Capitol Heights Area and Section 8.
Only the last in the series S.W. 1/4 are the names different than the other three. They are all in the same year 1825 and is the year the first state Capitol was moved from Cahaba, Al. to Tuscaloosa, Al. It is also the first year of John Quincy Adams Presidency. The last in the series has the President James Monroe’s name scratched through and John Quincy Adams Added. The Eastern Border of Section 8 N.E.1/4 ends at Panama Street on the East. Further East to Federal Drive and beyond is Township 16 Range 18 Section 9 not 8. Section 9 DEJERNETTE, MUMFORD and HAYNE, ARTHUR P are the names on the document. The N.W.1/4 top border aligns with McCarter Avenue in the North almost perfectly. The S.W. 1/4 DEJARNETTE, JOHN P. and NAPIER, THOMAS are the names on the document and this would have been eventually the land that the Morningview home was built. Each section contained 161.23 acres.
All of the above information is available at the U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Land Management General Land Office Records.